Personal injury is the most popular area of law, as it encompasses a wide range of cases and scenarios. From car accidents to slip and fall accidents and injury from dangerous drugs, personal injury cases occur on a daily basis throughout the United States. This is due in large part to the fact that human beings are injured in all different ways – sometimes due to the negligence or distraction of another individual. If someone else causes you harm or is responsible for the injury you sustained in one way or another, you may be able to take them to court for personal injury damages. Depending on the circumstances surrounding the incident, a lawsuit may be necessary in order to receive compensation for any financial, medical, or emotional damages.
Before we look at the most common types of personal injury claims, let’s go over some of the top factors that can affect how much you receive from these claims. Keep in mind that while every case is different, there are a few common factors that may increase or decrease the amount of compensation awarded. Compensation for personal injury claims is broken down into several different categories – or multipliers. Some of the higher multipliers that may have an impact on the amount received for a personal injury claim are:
- Broken bones
- Head injury
- Nerve damage
- Spinal cord injury
- Medical expenses
- Estimated recovery period
- Need for prescription medication
- Permanent injury
- Physical or emotional distress
These are just a few of things that a court may look at in order to determine how much compensation you should receive. There are of course additional factors, all of which will depend on the specific case and the circumstances surrounding it.
Common Types of Personal Injury Claims
With those multiplier factors in mind, let’s now look at some of the most common types of personal injury seen here in Dallas and throughout the U.S.:
- Injury from a defective product – In these circumstances, the manufacturer or distributor of a product may be held responsible if their product lead to injury or death in the consumer
- Injury from a dangerous drug – Legally, drugs are also considered products, which means they are held to the same safety standards as products
- Injury from a car accident – This is perhaps the most common type of personal injury claim, as auto accidents occur on a daily basis for numerous reasons
- Injury from slip and fall accident – Stores, public places, and personal property owners all have a responsibility to ensure their grounds are safe and free of hazards. If they do not do this and someone slips and falls, they may be able to sue for damages
- Medical malpractice – Unfortunately, medical malpractice is the third-leading cause of death in the U.S., making it yet another common personal injury claim. If a doctor or other medical professional fails to provide you with the care you need and deserve, you may be able to take them to court for damages
We hope you now have a better understanding about personal injury claims, why they happen, and what your rights are. To learn more about these types of cases right here in Dallas, please contact Rad Law Firm today.