There are many things that can go wrong and result in a car accident, from driver distraction to hazardous driving conditions and defective vehicle parts. While it is true that the majority of car accidents happen due to one of the first two examples listed, defective vehicle parts or improper maintenance is also a leading cause of accidents that many people do not think about. This is why proper vehicle maintenance is so important. By being proactive and taking your car to a trusted mechanic or auto body repair shop on a regular basis, you can rest assured that your vehicle is safe to drive. By neglecting routine maintenance needs like getting an oil change and new tires, you may be putting yourself and other drivers at risk.
These days there are more cars than ever on the roads, leading to serious and deadly car accidents every single minute. Thanks in large part to the popularity of smartphones, tablets, and other devices, drivers are more distracted than we ever thought possible. This is why it is imperative to do everything in your power to ensure your safety while navigating the Texas roads. While you may not be able to prevent other drivers from texting or driving while under the influence of drugs and alcohol, you can make sure your vehicle is in tip-top shape and safe to get you from point A to point B. By staying on top of routine maintenance needs, you will also be able to catch any major issues or defective vehicle parts before it’s too late. In recent years there have been numerous recalls by car manufacturers, namely regarding defective airbags. Numerous people died as a result of malfunctioning airbags, something that was not caught in the manufacturing phase or during any routine maintenance. We say this not to scare you, but to reiterate how important it is to know your vehicle and take good care of it.
Now that we have discussed why it’s important to have your vehicle maintenance on a regular basis, let’s look at some tips for proper car maintenance:
- Check your tires and make sure they are in good shape – Getting in the habit of checking your car’s tires and making sure they are in good shape is a smart, as bald tires can lead to numerous problems. Check the air pressure on a regular basis, have your tires rotated, and check the alignment when you rotate the tires, as all of these things will work in your favor.
- Get an oil change every 3,000 miles and check the fluids – Staying on top of your car’s oil change is one of the smartest things you can do as a vehicle owner. Check your oil every month and if you notice it is dangerously low, put a quart in ASAP and call your mechanic to schedule an oil change. When you take your car in for an oil change, ask the shop to check all your fluids and top any that are low.
- Test your lights – It is good to test your car’s lights on a regular basis, as you may not realize you have a taillight or headlight out. When your car is parked, flip on the headlights, taillights, turn signals, and brights to make sure they are all working.
- Check your air filter – If you aren’t sure how to do this, ask your local mechanic to check it next time you are in. A dirty air filter can have a drastic impact on your car’s overall performance.
- Have your mechanic give the car a “once over” every so often – Even if your car seems to be running just fine, it’s a good idea to have your mechanic look at the core components to make sure everything looks good. This will help prevent overheating or electrical failure, keeping you and your passengers safe as you travel.
Staying on top of your vehicle’s maintenance will help prevent an accident, keeping you and your loved ones safe. If you have been involved in a car accident in Dallas, please contact our personal injury attorneys today. We offer free consultations and are here to help you understand your rights as the victim of a car accident.