Riding a motorcycle comes with inherent dangers, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t certain things you can do to make each adventure a little safer. As motorcycle accident lawyers, we see devastating accidents take place on a regular basis throughout the Dallas metro area. In many cases, these accidents are caused by negligent or distracted drivers who do not take the time to look for others on the road – including motorcycles. Other accidents are caused by poor decision-making, bad weather, and impaired drivers. Regardless of the cause of the accident, serious, life-threatening injuries are often the result. While we cannot control the actions of car and truck drivers on the road, there are a handful of things motorcycle riders can do to avoid these potentially dangerous situations. By dressing appropriately and taking extra precaution when out on the roads, you will be giving yourself a better chance of avoiding an accident.
Whether you have been riding motorcycles your entire life or this is a new hobby of yours, it is absolutely imperative that you understand your rights and responsibilities. Safety should always be a top priority when operating any vehicle or motorcycle. In order to help keep everyone safe and reduce risks of preventable motorcycle accidents, please keep the following safety tips in mind:
- Take a professional course – Before you hop on your bike, make sure you get proper training and learn how to safely handle your motorcycle while out on the busy roads of Dallas. This may seem obvious, but one of the biggest mistakes people make is thinking they know what they are doing when the reality is quite the opposite. A professional training course should go over everything you need to know, from what to wear and how to handle your bike in inclement weather.
- Make sure you are visible – One of the biggest mistakes motorcycle riders make is failing to make sure they are visible. Accidents involving motorcycles often occur when the motorcycle is in the driver’s blind spot, which can be catastrophic. Do your best to find ways to make yourself visible, pay attention to your surroundings, and wear bright colored clothing.
- Wear a helmet – This one may seem obvious, but one of the most important things you can do for your own safety is a wear a helmet. No one anticipates being involved in an accident, but these things do happen. Wearing a helmet can significantly reduce the risk of serious and life-altering injuries, such as traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, and even death.
- Check your bike before each ride – Regardless of how often you ride, giving your bike a glance before you hop on could save your life. You may notice something you hadn’t before, such as worn-out brakes, low tires, or a burnt out headlight.
- Do not speed or drink – Two of the smartest things you can do when riding your bike is to avoid speeding or drinking. Ride at a safe speed and keep your distance from other cars. And, whatever you do, never get on your bike while intoxicated.
As Dallas motorcycle accident lawyers, we have your best interests in mind and are here to do whatever we can to ensure you understand your rights. If you’ve been involved in a motorcycle accident in Dallas, give Rad Law Firm a call and schedule an appointment with one of our experienced attorneys.