Unfortunately, medical errors take place every single day in hospitals and other healthcare facilities throughout the United States. In fact, medical errors are the third leading cause of death in our country. This is likely a shocking statistic for many, but others are all familiar with the fact that medical errors and negligence take place daily. Whether you have been involved in an accident and require medical attention for your injuries, go to the doctor because of an illness, or are admitted to the hospital in need of surgery, you expect to be well cared for. However, medical professionals – just like everyone else – are capable of incompetence and making errors. When a doctor or nurse is negligent, fails to follow proper safety procedures, or are not adequately trained, you could be at risk. A recent study uncovered that the number of patients who die from preventable medical errors is between 200,000 and 400,000 each year. This is a huge number and brings attention to the fact that medical negligence is a growing problem.
Here at Rad Law Firm, our personal injury lawyers understand how devastating it can be to sustain an injury or lose a loved one to an error made by a trusted medical staff member. Our lawyers are committed to representing people throughout California and Texas on tricky medical malpractice lawsuits. Not only do we understand the legal system, but we make it a point to work closely with each and every one of our clients, ensuring they understand their rights and how their case is likely to proceed. That being said, we thought it would be helpful to look at some of the most common types of medical malpractice, giving you a better idea of how these cases take place.
- Failure to diagnose or misdiagnosis – As you likely know, proper diagnosis of symptoms is extremely important in determining the right treatment for patients. When a doctor or nurse fails to diagnose a patient or misdiagnosis something, the results could be devastating.
- Anesthesia mistakes – Just like prescription medications, anesthesia can be deadly when administered wrong. If you were exposed to danger by the anesthesiologist, you may be able to sue for medical negligence.
- Surgical errors – Surgical errors are among the most serious and deadly of all types of medical malpractice. If a doctor performs surgery on the wrong patient, has the surgery site wrong, or causes damage to an organ or body part during surgery, medical malpractice has occurred.
- Defective products – In some cases, it is not the doctor, nurse, or hospital that is to blame for wrongful death or medical sufferings. On occasion, the medical equipment or other products used during a patient’s stay at the hospital are actually at fault.
- Prescription drug errors – These types of errors affect a huge number of people every single year. In fact, it is one of the most common types of medical malpractice and can often turn fatal. Unfortunately, many cases of prescription drug errors either go unnoticed or unreported by patients, resulting in serious injury or death.
As you can see, medical negligence or malpractice is very serious and comes in many different shapes and forms. If you or a loved one has been injured because of the carelessness of a trusted medical professional, contact Rad Law Firm today. Our knowledgeable medical malpractice attorneys will work hard for you, ensuring you receive the compensation you deserve.