Slip and fall accidents happen all the time. While many people associate these types of accidents with inclement weather during the colder months, slip and fall incidents represent 41 percent of all preventable injuries in the United States. Most people will be involved in a slip, trip, or fall accident at some point in their lives. In most cases, these types of accidents won’t be the fault of the victim. Slip and fall accidents can happen to anyone, anywhere.
Slip and fall accidents occur when an individual is injured due to falling down, slipping, or tripping on government, private, or commercial property. The homeowner or building owner has the obligation to ensure their property is safe for visitors. When there is a hazard, or the space has not been properly maintained, it could increase the risk of an accident taking place. Slip and fall accidents can occur from many instances, such as slippery or uneven surfaces, a crack in the sidewalk, or a slippery substance on the floor. With that in mind, here are a few things you should know about slip and fall accidents in Dallas:
- What type of compensation will I be eligible to receive? Victims of slip and fall accidents are often left with devastating injuries that may require years of recovery. Some of the types of compensation you may be able to receive include:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Document everything – Slip and fall accident cases can be quite complex, which is why it is important you have evidence to support your claim. Collect the names, addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses for any potential witnesses. The information they give you could help support your claim, should you decide to take the case to court.
- Who is liable? In most cases, liability rests on the owner of the property on which the incident occurred. However, the only way to prove liability is for you to show without a doubt that the owner was negligent and the accident could have been avoided.
- What type of evidence do you need to prove liability? If you are pursuing a legal claim following a slip and fall accident, the following evidence may help you prove your case:
- Surveillance footage
- Pictures of your injuries
- Pictures of the area where the accident occurred
- Your clothing and shoes
- Medical records
- Witness statements
- To pursue a slip and fall accident claim in Dallas, please contact Rad Law Firm today and schedule a free consultation.