Car accidents take place every single day in the United States, some of which are minor, some very serious. Many people do not realize this, but car accidents are the leading killer of children, teens, and young adults, according to statistics from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). Unfortunately, we have seen these numbers go up, instead of down, in recent years. Whether due to the prevalence of cell phones and the temptation of texting and driving or some other factor, this is a growing problem that needs to be addressed. According to the CDC, more than 30,000 people die each year in car accidents.
The moment you set foot in a car or truck, you are putting yourself at risk. While you may consider yourself a safe and ‘good’ driver, it is imperative that you account for the recklessness of other drivers on the road. Defensive and alert driving is a must and something that saves lives everyday. As experienced Dallas car accident attorneys, we have represented people on a wide range of cases that involve accidents of every shape and form. We know how devastating and traumatic these types of cases can be and will do everything we can to ensure justice is served. With the high number of lives taken every single year in horrible car crashes, it is important that we take a step back and learn what the causes of most car accidents are.
Here is a look at a handful of the most common causes of car accidents in the United States:
- Distracted Driving – Sadly, distracted driving is a bigger threat than ever before and has been the number one cause of car accidents for the past decade. To avoid a preventable car accident, drivers should always refrain from talking on their cell phone, texting, eating, reading, putting on makeup, and talking to other passengers.
- Speeding – Speeding is another cause of serious car accidents that many people are guilty of. While it can be tempting to push the pedal to the metal when running late for a meeting or to pick up the kids, it is imperative you use good judgment and obey the speed limit. It may save your life.
- Drunk Driving – Another common cause of car accidents, it is estimated that there are more than 300,000 incidents of drunk driving in the U.S. each day.
- Fatigued Driving – You should never get behind the wheel of a car when you are tired or haven’t gotten enough sleep. Nodding off at the wheel is unfortunately common and extremely dangerous.
- Reckless Driving and Road Rage – Tailgating, changing lanes too quickly, speeding, and acting otherwise aggressive on the roads are all examples of reckless driving and can result in terrible accidents. Take your time, pay attention, and don’t make any irrational decisions.
- Weather – While we can all hope for dry, clear roads every time we drive, this is not reality. If the roads are wet with rain or snow, be extra careful and make sure your eyes are on the road and alert.
There are many different causes of car accidents, most of which can be avoided. To learn more about how Rad Law Firm may be able to help you after a car accident, please contact us today.