Every year, there are more than 500,000 accidents between cars and trucks. In 10 percent of those accidents, someone dies and there is a 98 percent chance the fatality will be the driver of the passenger vehicle. An 18-wheeler accident is most likely to occur during the daytime and especially in rural areas.
Accident prevention tips for truck drivers.
* Drive the speed limit. It is common sense which is also supported by statistics that an 18-wheeler accident is more likely to occur when the driver is speeding than when the driver is following the speed limit for trucks. An 18-wheeler weighs more than 10,000 pounds. Some weigh up to 80,000 pounds. This increases braking distance, making it impossible to stop in a timely manner. It also makes it more difficult to maneuver out of the way and avoid an accident when the truck is traveling at high speeds.
* Do not drive when sleepy. A journal, Archives of Internal Medicine, recently reported on a study that concluded that driving when sleepy is almost the same as driving while drunk! Either way, both conditions double the risk of causing a vehicular accident.
* Proper maintenance is vital, make sure the truck is mechanically sound and not in need of repairs.
* Do not overload the truck. An overloaded truck puts stress on brakes and tires that may result in an accident due to malfunctions.
* There are plenty of safety gadgets for truck drivers. These may include cameras that allow the driver to see in areas where there is zero visibility without the cameras. Monitors are available to alert drivers who weave out of their lane or start to fall asleep.
Accident prevention tips for other drivers.
Here are some precautions drivers of passenger vehicles can take to lessen the risk of getting involved in an 18-wheeler accident.
* Do not drive in the areas around or behind the truck where the truck driver has no visibility. This is primarily in the last half of the truck on either the right or left side or close to the rear of the truck directly behind it. Truck drivers have no visibility in those areas, so stay out of those blind spots.
* When passing a truck, drivers need to be careful in their calculations and be sure they have enough power to accelerate and get around the truck. Many accidents occur because the passing driver did not have enough acceleration to completely pass the truck.
* When entering a busy highway, passenger vehicle drivers need to enter properly, keeping in mind that a truck driver cannot slow down easily or change lanes quickly.
Keep in mind, if you’ve been injured in an accident you need the services of a personal injury or car accident attorney.
People who have been injured in a truck accident, or who lost a loved one in such an accident, may be entitled to collect damages for their own injuries and for the wrongful death of their loved one. There may be many defendants in such a suit including truck drivers, the company they work for and even the government if poor road conditions were in any way responsible for the accident. There are also time limits within which legal claims must be filed. An experienced car accident attorney will properly evaluate the facts of your case.
Rad Law Firm has 20 years of experience fighting for your rights in even the most difficult cases. Don’t get caught up in games between insurance companies. Our attorneys deal with these people on a daily basis. Clients come first at Rad Law Firm, give us a call today or fill out our evaluation form. As always, free of charge!