Let’s face it – driving has become increasingly dangerous and downright scary. With all the distractions out there today (hello, smartphones), it is a wonder how any of us get to and from our destination safely. Not only are distractions becoming a serious problem for drivers on our roads, but people have picked up numerous bad habits that are constantly putting others at risk. In fact, many of these bad habits may actually be illegal. Sure, traffic laws can be confusing and vary from state to state, but it is important to do what you can to be as safe of a driver as possible. In recent months, many states have begun to outlaw texting while driving in an effort to protect other drivers, but this is still a seriously bad habit that many people are guilty of.
In 2016 there were an estimated 40,200 deaths caused by auto accidents, which is an increase of 6 percent since the previous year. This jump in fatalities meant we experienced the highest number of traffic deaths in about a decade, which is a reflection of many drivers’ bad habits today. As Dallas personal injury lawyers, we represent victims of car accidents and their loved ones. We have seen just how devastating car accidents are and what an impact they have on many people’s lives. We encourage you to kick any bad driving habits you have this year in order to keep yourself and others safe. If you have been involved in a car accident in Dallas, please do not hesitate to contact Rad Law Firm right away.
With that in mind, here are five bad driving habits you should stop doing right now:
● Using your phone while driving – It’s safe to say we are all guilty of using our phone from time to time while driving, but it’s time to stop. While it may be hard to ignore the ping of a text message or incoming email, your safety is much more important. Keep your eyes on the road and know that whatever it is, it can wait. It’s simply not worth it.
● Driving with headphones – This one is a big no-no, but people do it all the time. If you don’t have a working stereo in your car we know it can be tempting to put some headphones on, but this is incredibly dangerous. Not only are you distracted by the music in your ears, but you are shutting out important noises like emergency vehicle sirens, car horns, and railroad crossing signals.
● Failing to signal when changing lanes – In recent years it seems people have stopped using their turn signals, which is causing more accidents than ever before. When changing lanes – especially in heavy traffic – it is of the utmost importance you use your signal to indicate to other drivers what your intentions are.
● Failure to yield the right of way – Another leading cause of car accidents today is failure to yield the right of way. Many people do not properly understand traffic laws and therefore merge at their leisure or try and cross traffic when it is not their turn, which often results in accidents.
● Speeding – This is a no-brainer, but speeding is one of the worst driving habits you can have. Whether you are running late or simply have a lead foot, speeding is one of the top causes of car accidents in the United States. In 2015 alone, more than 27 percent of all traffic fatalities were related to speed.
What bad driving habit are you going to kick this year? The five habits listed above are a good place to start! If you have been involved in a car accident in the Dallas area, please contact Rad Law Firm today.